First Visual Assignment!!

I am so excited to get started on these assignments! I started looking through a few and just could hardly wait to start. Unfortunately I have a big paper due on Thursday, so the fun ones will have to wait until this weekend. For now, I kicked off the assignment by choosing the Album Cover project.

I liked this project because of all the randomness involved; it guarantees you’ll find something interesting!

My band name is Tildenia, which according to Wikipedia is a genus of moth in the family Gelechiidae. Intriguing. Because my band’s namesake is a moth, I had to have one in there somewhere! Although the moth I have in there is not scientifically accurate; all of the Gelechiidae moths are really gross looking and are usually an agricultural pest. Not exactly what I wanted on my album cover. If you’re REALLY that curious, here’s a Wikipedia article. At any rate, I found the moth photo I used on the Flickr creative commons.

The album title, “Bend or Break Them,” came from a random quote; the full quote was by Robert Graves: “Every English poet should master the rules of grammar before he attempts to bend or break them.” Cool quote, by the way.

Then had to pick a picture at random, this was a little harder because I had to make sure that I had a photo that was under creative commons.

I feel like I really lucked out, I got some really cool pieces to put together into an album cover! So here it is –

Visual Assignment: Album Cover

I simply put the original photo into black and white. I really struggled with the text because I couldn’t do black or white because of the background; I had to choose colors that weren’t blinding to the eyes but still stood out on the busy background. I did all of this (except the conversion to B&W, that I did in iPhoto) using GIMP for the first time. I was more than a little frustrated with the application, it took me a lot longer to figure it out than I expected. However, it did allow me to cut out that little moth and stick it into the top right corner of the album cover, so I enjoyed that!

This entry was posted in Assignments and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to First Visual Assignment!!

1. Pingback: happiprocity » Visual Assignment Recap

2. Pingback: My Week 4 of ds106 - CogDogBlog

3. Alan Levine says:

I love this band! Hopefully, you will get more comfortable with the GIMP, you certainly achieved the result perfectly here… it could almost pass as the Splash Some Color assignment.

4. Christie says:

Oh jeeze I didn’t even think of that, I was just so triumphant I got the program to do what I told it to…thanks for pointing that out! I’ll have to pay more attention to that kind of detail in the future.

5. Tim Ryan says:

I’ve always really liked this type of assignment since everyone has something completely unique. I do really enjoy that moth in the corner, glad it was worth the effort you went through with GIMP.

6. Paul says:

Looks nice 🙂 Like the black and white waterfall image a lot!

One point though… usually album covers are square :p